Saturday, March 21, 2009

Word of the Week

The word of the week:

This week's word is it's. It's is a contraction that means "it is". There is no apostrophe in the possessive pronoun its.
Example - It's the right thing to do. (it's, it is)
Put everything in its place. (its, no apostrophe; is used to indicate possession)

The week's suggestion comes to this blog from Professor Joanna Brewis of the School of Management at U of Leicester. I propose that all of Professor Brewis's students make note of the correct use of contractions for essays and assignments in her classes because I'm sure she will be watching. You may notice the form of the possessive in the name above (Possessive Proper Noun - Professor Brewis's). However, I'm sure this is a discussion for another post.

I'd like to send a quick hello to all my new readers/students. I will endeavour to answer posts on this blog, but I would really like you to send any and all inquiries to my address at University of Leicester which is ulsmdltutor@le.ac.uk. I can then talk to you in more detail, and we can get to know each other online. All questions are welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Kay for posting this. As the daughter of a retired English teacher I just can't help being a punctuation obsessive. Maybe I need to get out more :). But seriously guys paying attention to the way that you express yourself, including making sure your punctuation is correct, really does improve the standard of your written work because it means it is easier for us to read. Whether to add an apostrophe to its/ it's or not is one of the most common mistakes made in the assignments and dissertations I see at all levels, from all students, of all nationalities. I also see it in papers by academics. But it is also like riding a bicycle; once learned, never forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Kay - to my utmost embarrassment I only found out recently that I had not been using the possessive pronoun correctly :o)

    Might I suggest 'effect' and 'affect' for future consideration? I tend to check the dictionary when I need to use these, or look for an alternative!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elaine:

    Please see the first word of the week for a discussion of "affect" and "effect". I hope that will help you.
    KB

    ReplyDelete