Thursday, April 2, 2009

Word of the week - Bad/Badly. Bad is an adjective, badly is an adverb.
Examples -
I feel bad about having to miss the recital. Her lungs hurt badly from the bronchial infection.

Okay, in line with extending the educational experience for students, I'd like to recommend a site at the BBC World Service on improving English. It's at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv24.shtml
They have an interactive question and answer service, information on grammar and they even discuss words with reference to English culture. Perhaps, it will help anyone who, like me, had to find out what a "barney" was after they watched "Law & Order UK" last Monday night. English usage, idiomatic and not so idiomatic, is explained at this website. There are also online quizzes on English grammar geared to ELS students, and these quizzes are interactive and free.

KB

1 comment:

  1. Thanks KB. You doing a good job.

    I have some difficulty using the following words in sentences -- will/would, can/could, shall/should. Also, how can I receive your post in my email?

    ReplyDelete