Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Speaking to the Skills Tutor in Person

If you want to speak to the Skills Tutor in person, there are a few details you should know.

First, ask yourself what I can do for you right now using email. A phone call takes several days to set up, what do you need to move forward with your work right now? I can help with this.

You need to focus on a particular issue which we can discuss in more detail over the phone. So, think about your needs. Are you having problems with assignments, with time management, with exam stress, with writing or with thinking critically? These are just a few concerns students can have. To get more ideas, you might read my blog postings.

To be more specific, I usually speak to students using Skype. If you are fortunate enough to be in the UK, I can phone you directly on a UK landline. Otherwise, Skype is here:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home
You can get a free user account from Skype that we can use to speak together using Skype software and also see each other via webcam if you wish.

There are a few other things you should know.
1. All phone appointments are between 12:00 (Noon) PM UK/GMT and 11:00 PM UK/GMT
2. We need to have a topic to discuss.
3. Appointments are not on weekends unless I make a special arrangement with a student for a special reason.
4. The student must suggest an appointment time and date, three working days ahead. I will call at this time and 15 minutes later.
5. The student must get a notice from me verifying this appointment to which they must reply. I must then verify the time is set up. Without acknowledgments, we don't have an appointment.
6. I am always happy to call a UK landline.

I hope this makes the phone call process easier for all those who wish to speak with me.

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment